Boredom. We all have to face it at one point or another.
We spend a lot of time here discussing how to maximize the limited amount of time we have. But sometimes, you find yourself with the exact opposite problem – you have too much time and nothing to do with it.
While a little free time is nice, no one should have too much time. If you do, that means you’re not spending your time wisely. Sometimes, a little bit of boredom is welcomed, especially if you’re used to a hectic and fast paced lifestyle. But once that boredom lasts a little longer, you start feeling restless and well…unhappy.
If you find that you are bored and need to spend your time a little more productively, here are 10 things you can do:
- Read a new book – Most people complain that they don’t have enough time to read. If you find that you do have extra time, read a new book. Try something you normally wouldn’t pick up – who knows, you might actually like it.
- Organize your email – Inboxes can get out of control. When you’re busy responding to one email after another, remembering to delete or file them can be last on your list. Spend some time organizing your email. Your days will go much smoother.
- Try a new recipe – many of us don’t have the time to cook a quick meal, let alone try a new recipe. If you have extra time, try cooking something you’ve always wanted to but never have. It’ll be much better than your usual take out.
- Write…about anything – Writing is a great creative outlet and anyone can do it. Sit down and write, about anything. See where your creative mind takes you.
- Do a puzzle – Puzzles aren’t just for kids. Try working on some logic or problem solving puzzles to keep your mind sharp.
- Catch up with an old friend – How often do we say that we wished we had the time to catch up with old friends? If you’re bored, then it’s the perfect time. Ask a friend to grab a coffee or a quick bite to eat.
- Go for a run – Most of us never get enough exercise. If you have a little bit of extra time, go for a run. It’s free and great for your body.
- Clean out your closet – Similarly to our inboxes, our closets can get ridiculously cluttered and clutter can cause unnecessary stress. Take some time to clean it out. Anything you don’t want can be donated.
- Try a new show – Television isn’t always mindless fun. There are a bunch of critically acclaimed and/or thought-provoking shows out there. Try one of them.
- Get a head start – Lastly, there is always something to be done, either now or later. If you find that you are bored, get a head start on whatever you have to do next.